Wetherspoons dramatically evacuated as bomb squad called to ‘suspicious item in toilet’

Wetherspoons customers were evacuated from their local after bomb squad experts were called in over reports a “suspicious package”.

Armed police were scrambled to The Hat and Feathers pub in Seaham, County Durham, after the suspicious item was found in a toilet.

Police cordoned off the entirety of Church Street shortly before 9pm on Friday night, evacuating homes and businesses.

Police officers used the barriers from an earlier Christmas light switch-on event in the town to quickly fence off the street.

An Army bomb squad used two specialist bomb disposal robots to inspect the item to see if it posed a threat.

Experts deployed a bomb disposal robot to investigate the mystery parcel
Experts deployed bomb disposal robots to investigate the “suspicious package”

Customers said they had been suddenly asked to leave before officers arrived and closed the street.

Adding to the confusion, trains were cancelled at nearby Seaham railway station after reports of an “obstruction” on the tracks. It’s not currently known whether the two incidents were related.

Chronicle Live reports that the bomb scare came to a safe conclusion in the early hours of this morning.

Customers said they were told to get out of the pub just before 9pm last night
Customers said they were told to get out of the pub just before 9pm on Friday night

At 4:42am, Durham Constabulary issued a statement on Twitter, saying: “The cordon on Church Street has now been lifted. We appreciate the patience of residents.

“An investigation will be carried out, however initial enquiries suggest the item did not pose risk to the public.

“If you have information, contact us quoting reference no. 439 of Nov 19.”

The drama came to a safe conclusion at around 4:40am
The drama came to a safe conclusion at around 4:40am on Saturday morning

To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.

A similar statement from North East Ambulance Service mentioned the second incident as well.

A spokesperson said: “We were called to two incidents this evening in Seaham.

“At 20:16 we were called to an incident on the railway line. We dispatched four Hazardous Area Response Teams, an officer and an ambulance.

“We were stood down on scene.

“We were called to a second police incident in the Seaham area at 21:17. We currently have a number of resources still on scene. We are not aware that there is any link between the incidents.”

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *