A Sydney Cricket Ground patron who engaged in a brawl during the New Year’s Ashes Test has been banned from the iconic venue.
A cricket fan has been banned from the Sydney Cricket Ground after engaging in a brawl on day three of the New Year’s Ashes Test between Australia and England.
On Friday afternoon, footage emerged of a group of men fighting in the MA Noble Stand’s second tier at the northern end of the stadium. The incident was witnessed by News Corp reporters at the venue’s media centre, while video of the altercation also circulated on social media platforms.
Catch every moment of The Ashes live and ad-break free during play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-days free now.
An SCG spokesperson confirmed to news.com.au that one patron was evicted from the venue and handed a two-year ban.
On Sunday, NSW Police told news.com.au that a 37-year-old man was issued an infringement for “offensive conduct”.
Earlier on Friday, spectators near the Members’ Stand were captured on video hurling abuse at England cricketers Jonny Bairstow and Ben Stokes as they returned to the changerooms at the tea break.
“Looks like someone might have said something towards Ben Stokes, which I wouldn’t advise,” commentator Mark Howard said on Fox Cricket.
“Stokes just gives him the look of death, and I would imagine that character has scurried off somewhere. No harm done though.”
SCG security staff asked three patrons to leave the venue after the incident, and they obliged.
Bairstow addressed the incident during the post-match press conference, telling reporters it was important players stand up for themselves in such circumstances.
“It was a bit of badmouthing from the crowd,” he explained. “Obviously it’s not the greatest, and it’s not needed.
“We’re out there trying to do our jobs. People are out there enjoying the day’s cricket, and unfortunately sometimes you have people who overstep the mark.
“I think it’s important to stand up for ourselves … especially when people overstep the mark, they need to be told.”