News Sports

Police and Cricket Australia investigate sexual assault allegations from 1980s | Cricket Australia


A former Australian under-19s cricketer who alleges he was sexually assaulted on a representative tour in the 1980s has revealed the “trauma and distress” he has felt for decades.

Jamie Mitchell went public with the allegations in an ABC report on Sunday, stating he believed he had been raped by a team official on a tour of India and Sri Lanka when he was 18.

Mitchell’s discussions with Sports Integrity Australia prompted an Australian Federal Police investigation late last year and Cricket Australia is cooperating. No charges have been laid and the cricket official linked to the allegations denies any wrongdoing.

In a statement, Mitchell said he was relieved the 1985 tour was being investigated.

“Instead of being a highlight of my cricketing life, that tour has caused me trauma and distress over many years,” he said. “Cricket Australia has a chance to distinguish itself by facing up to this issue and doing the right thing.”

Mitchell will send a list of questions to the governing body surrounding the tour, including what authorities knew about the team official when he led the tour, if any complaints were made about him, and whether or not he was sacked when he left cricket soon after the alleged incident.

He is also asking if CA can produce medical records from the tour, including what he was injected with by a team doctor on two occasions.

“My focus is on getting answers and on player welfare … I’m expecting Cricket Australia to take this very seriously,” he said.

CA told News Corp in a statement the organisation is aware of a police investigation into claims of alleged historical offences occurring on an overseas tour decades ago.

“Cricket Australia is in contact with the alleged victim and is cooperating fully with the police investigation. Because the matter is being investigated by police, we are prevented from commenting further,” the statement read.

“Cricket Australia has no tolerance for any form of abuse and is committed to ensuring a safe environment for all staff, participants and their families in all their interactions with the game.”

An AFP spokesperson said the organisation does not comment on specific investigations.

Rightside Legal partner Michael Magazanik, whose firm is advising Mitchell, said CA should provide a comprehensive response to his questions before they decide on further legal steps.

“This tour was in 1985, and that’s not ancient history … it’s in everyone’s interests that the information be provided quickly,” he said.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *